Thursday, April 25, 2024

Why I Put Cucumbers on My Eyes Before Bed Each Night

 Source: https://tropicalhealth.com/put-cucumbers-eyes-bed-night/?utm_source=internal&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=TH240424

If you are like me, you have a regular bedtime routine that helps you prepare for a great night’s sleep. My routine generally starts with a cup of chamomile tea, a few before bed stretches, and turning my phone off until the next day. I find that these things all help me relax and prepare my body and mind to wind down. 

Recently, I have added something new to my bedtime routine, placing cucumbers on my eyes. Yes, I know that it sounds weird, but it actually helps me relax and has a number of other valuable health benefits a well. I have always struggled with puffy eyes – something I think I have inherited from my father’s side of the family. Since adding cucumbers to my bedtime routine, I have noticed an improvement in the skin around my eyes, plus it is just so relaxing. You have to try it for yourself!


Research supports using cucumbers on eyes

Studies show that cucumber juice can reduce swelling, ease damaged skin and provide powerful antioxidants for the skin around the eyes. Cucumbers are loaded with skin-loving vitamin C and folic acid. Vitamin C has been shown to revitalize skin while stimulating the growth of new cells. Folic acid encourages antioxidants that help reduce the impact of environmental toxins that leave eyes looking tired and puffy.

Cucumbers also have a high water content, which soothes and moisturizes skin around the eye. One study even found cucumber juice to be a viable wrinkle remedy because of its ability to restore the skin’s natural elasticity.

How to use cucumbers on your eyes

To incorporate cucumbers into your beauty and bedtime ritual, it is crucial to make sure that you have plenty of chilled organic cukes on hand.  Clean and dry your skin thoroughly and follow up with a natural moisturizer such as coconut oil. Make sure that your bedroom is dark and free of any distractions. You will need to lie still with the cukes on your eyes for at least 15 minutes for a good result.

To prepare the cucumbers, cut off one end and discard. Cut two slices about half an inch thick (be careful not to cut the slices too thin). You can leave the peel on or take it off. I prefer to take it off, but that is a personal preference.

Take your cucumbers to your bedroom and recline in a comfortable position. Set a timer for 15 minutes and lay back in a reclining position. Place a slice of cucumber over each eye and relax while the natural cucumber goodness soaks into your skin. When the slices become warm, flip them over to enjoy the cooling sensation again.

I do this at least five nights a week, and you can do it as often as you wish. If dark circles and puffiness persist, speak to your health care practitioner as it could be a sign of a health condition needing attention.

If you aren’t into putting cucumbers on your eyes, you can use natural products that contain cucumber juice to add to your daily beauty regime.

Other great bedtime habits

Sleep is essential to great health, even skin health, and adopting a bedtime routine will prepare your body for the rest it needs to repair and revive. Here are a few suggestions that may help you to ease into a great night’s sleep.

  • Take a warm bath with Epsom salts
  • Listen to some quiet and relaxing music
  • Enjoy a cup of warm broth or herbal tea
  • Spray your pillow with lavender mist
  • Relax and breathe deeply for ten minutes
  • Do yoga
  • Plug your phone in outside of your bedroom
  • Write in a journal
  • Eat a light and healthy snack

-Susan Patterson 

No comments: